Thursday, August 02, 2012

Open letter to Congressman Gibson


A letter to my congressman...
Dear Congressman Gibson:
I  was one of the people who met you at the Blueberry Festival in Austerlitz last Sunday. I was glad you came, however I was a bit saddened to see how politics has changed from earlier times. There was only one person with you. In other years, candidates would come to events with an entourage, composed mostly of friends and other local politicians, eager to be in the shadow of the congressman or senator. I detected that you are on a lonely road with just one "friend" as a companion, and only later did I realize that this man was probably a security person. He made no effort to be friendly or engage in conversation, and he was always looking away, and occasionally at me. I guess that is part of modern politics, and innocence has been lost.
The other way that politics has changed is even more disturbing. There was a time when lobbyists worked the corridors of congress and tried to influence the outcome of legislation for the benefit of the people they worked for... railroads, pipelines, unions, health associations and so on. Usually congressman did not, dared not tell anyone which constituent was influencing his vote. Congressmen were there to do the people's business, and what was right for the country. They were able to make compromises to get laws passed and business done.
I noticed that you are listed as one who has signed a pledge not to raise taxes. You are in the pocket of the self described lobbying group known as Americans for Tax Reform. Your pledge is kept in a vault to be trotted out when your strings need to be pulled. How can you responsibly join a lobbying group and still be an independent voice for all the people you represent? You can't. You should run from this group, disavow the pledge, and stand up to do what is right for the district and the country.
I would also suggest that you gather a group of congressional leaders to investigate the ethics of joining a lobbying group and then saying that it is the people whom they are serving. It is impossible to be independent and also have given your vote to a lobbying group like ATR.
ATR is a 501,c,4 non-profit organization that does not have to pay taxes, and people who contribute to them cannot claim a deduction for their contribution. But, according to the ATR website, there is an ATR Foundation that is 501,c,3 organization which is both non-profit and allows for contributions to be deducted. The goal of the foundation is for "research and educational organization."  ALMOST EVERY TOPIC LISTED UNDER THE FOUNDATION IS POLITICAL. I would think that the ATR Foundations should lose its 501,c,3 status.
To me, and many of my friends, these are important issues. I would like you to investigate and get back to me about them. Most of all, I would like you to put ATR behind you and be free to work for the people.
Sincerely,
Phil

1 comment:

Al Stumph said...

Good work Phil. I hope the congressman pauses to consider what you have written

Al Stumph