Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The Marathon

Boston, the Marathon, the Red Sox, the heart beat of America, and the heart will continue to beat for freedom and justice. The heart will beat for life for the survivors, the first responders, volunteers, Doctors and nurses, and all sorts of hospital workers who administered to the victims of the horrific scene at the finish line yesterday. The heart beats for the investigators who are working swiftly to bring the perpetrators to justice, and a swift speedy trial in America's courtroom. I want that to happen.

I have read some pretty nasty stuff on Facebook over the past few days. For the most part, it is not well thought out. Some of it engenders hate, and encourages me and others like me to be hateful and vengeful. I will not bow down to intimidation from any quarter. I will not rush to judgment against anyone. I will not join a chorus of wrongful demands that are basically aimed at smearing entire nations or races because of a few nor will I not cast aspersions on those who do so.

I would like to see less bravado and more thought. Facts are important. More bravery and fewer aspersions. The folks who really hurt, the victims, maimed for life should be our primary concern, and also ourselves. We should take care of each other. We can assert our common dignity and lift each other up. Difficult to do? Right! Easy answers? No! But it is important for the heart to be beating, not for death to anyone, but life for all.

No comments: