Sunday, February 24, 2013

First official assignment

Recently, I was asked to write a couple of articles for the Berkshire Carousel Newsletter, which will appear mostly online, especially on Facebook.

A creative young lady named Katy has been posting progress reports on the horses, mostly through pictures that she snaps as she roams through the workshop while she takes a break from painting the horses. Her latest effort is forty photos of  horses that have been completed and are ready to mount on the mechanism that will arrive soon, and several that are works in progress, still needing paint, and additional carving. From Facebook, Berkshire Carousel Horses one can get an idea of the amazing work that is going on there.

My first assignment completed was about the rounding board that is to represent the Cummington Fair, which has taken place in the town of Cummington, 20 miles east of Pittsfield, for the last 144 years. 145 is coming up in August. I will probably go there this year. The truth is I hate fairs, but every time I go to one, I have a great time. Maybe, I like them more than I will admit.
My knowledge about rounding boards is minimal, nil actually. There is an example of one hanging in the workshop. I had the opportunity to talk with the artist Terri who is painting the board.

I am in awe of what goes into a painting: the imagination, the flights of fancy, the basic structure, the color, the joy. Terri's concept of this board represents the merry-go-round with flags flying, children screaming and playing. You can imagine the screams and shouts of joy if you let yourself be part of the action. You can smell the husky animals of the exhibitions as they are paraded on the fairground. And you can enjoy the sunshine and rolling hills of the Berkshires in this nostalgic setting.

Terri gave me some literature about the merry-go-round, its history, its demise. The Fair supervisors are attempting to rescue artifacts from the dispersed carousel, and certainly are evoking memories as they obtain memorabilia. It is a daunting project.

I learned about history, art, and rounding boards from this first completed assignment. I also gained much in my appreciation of the craft that goes into creating the wonders that give pleasure to so many, through the years and even centuries.

No comments: