Thursday, January 10, 2013

Sizzling Apple Pie




That piece of plastic was burning a hole in my wallet. I had to get rid of it, so I ate it, and it was sooo good as Mr. food would say. I had received a $25 gift card to Applebees for Christmas, and I wasn't sure how to use it, so I decided to treat myself to lunch.

You know what, the bill was actually $25.01, but I was sort of good to myself. If I ate what I did today everyday for lunch, I would be close to 250 very quickly. New England fish and chips with plenty of tartar sauce. Very tasty. If MacDonalds fries are a 3 on the 1-10 scale, Applebees seemed to me at about 8 with maybe a tad more sugar. The cole slaw was only okay. I had to have a glass of merlot to accompany the meal. I know, it should have been white, but I didn't know I was having fish until after I ordered the wine. Besides, I don't believe it is wine unless it is red.

I loved it all, but midway through the chips, I realized that I would get the card back with about $8 on it, too much to leave for a tip. So I picked up the dessert menu, ordered coffee, and when Maureen served the coffee, she suggested the triple chocolate melt down. It sounded so sinful and unhealthy. Triple chocolate. I didn't even ask if it was dark chocolate. I simply said, "Isn't there something with apples?" To me apples are healthy no matter what you do to them. If there were apples in that triple chocolate melt down, the deal would have been sealed.
She responded: "Sizzling Apple Pie?" and I said yes. I knew I was on the road to good health. Then she brought out the sizzling apple pie, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream sizzling right next to it, and a small container of butter caramel syrup. This was really good! I felt so healthy rejecting the chocolate for the fruit dish, and I am sure it will pay off. It may have been 50  fewer calories.

I recommend to anyone who is not allergic to some of the ingredients (there is walnut streusel in it) to get this dessert. If some one asks me at the end of 2013, what food touched your soul this year, I think it will be hard to beat this. Maybe a rerun would be better if I skip the fish and chips, and go with a friend.

Sizzling Apple Pie! a monster dessert that touches your soul!

No comments: