Sunday, November 25, 2012

Long term forecast/future cast?

This map is from the AccuWeather website as of November 25, 2012.  
  

So this is what it looks like for the coming season. Most of that snow is supposed to come in late January and February. I think I can live with it. And then again, I am skeptical. Where is the ski season? Where are the snowmen? The white Christmas? The sleigh rides? We will have to wait and see.

It is important to note that above means above average amounts, not just above last year. To predict the latter does not take too much equipment or weather savvy.

As I look at the map and think of the Jan-Feb forecast, I will make sure I have a good supply of firewood, candles, kerosene, and food. I will get fresh gas for my snow blower, and add stabilizer to it. the snow shovel will be placed in my hall way. (My health insurance company sent out a newsletter a few years ago that suggested shoveling snow was excellent exercise. What the?)

And then I will get out some travel brochures? Will there be a sunny warm spot that is a better place to be than the great northeast. Probably sunny and warm, but better than here at home, with soup on the wood stove, curled up with a good book or face book? Better than the opportunity to walk for miles on snow shoes and experience the stillness of the winter woods? Better than sitting around with a cuppa'  Joe or hot chocolate waiting for the sting of the wind on your face to dissipate and the feeling to return to your toes? Dreaming of far away places with pleasures that only exist... in the ads and brochures.

And if the snow doesn't come? That's okay too. I will get my exercise another way. Wondering why suddenly weather people are using the term future cast instead of forecast. Perhaps it portends the simple fact that you never know what the future will bring... it is only a guess.

No comments: