Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Score one for the little guy!


How do you get one sheet of plywood to your home without your trusty van or pick-up? Who do you call to get it there in a timely fashion? What if there is no one available to make a run for you to get it? Suppose you don’t want to rent a truck from Home Depot or Lowes.
Several years ago, we opened an account at one of the local lumber yards. We were putting on a new porch and we were able  to get a discount and delivery on the $4000.00  or so worth of supplies. Not only that, but we didn’t even have to go to the place for any thing. It was all done by phone with knowledgeable associates who estimated our needs and arranged delivery for everything, from rafters to sheetrock, nails and screws to sliding glass doors. It all came when we wanted it. If there were leftovers, they were picked up, and credit was received. Over the years, this arrangement has been quite handy; forty bags of cement, huge metal roofing pieces; gallons of white shellac, and more.
Occasionally over the years, I would venture into Home Depot, but it is such a hassle. The stores are too big. Probably these stores are easily a couple of city blocks with long aisles and rows.You have to do all the loading, carting, paying by yourself, and then get it home. And if you order too much, you either store it or return it on your own time. Usually, that is a 60 mile round trip.
At the local store, you don't have to walk through blocks of merchandise. You don't even see the lumber unless you want to. Some of it stored in sheds around the premises or in warehouses nearby. All you do is walk up to the counter, tell the clerk what you are doing, and "Voila!" you are on your way to a completed project. If it is a small item in the store like a shower drain, the clerk will get it for you, and bring it to the counter. If you think it is not quite right, then  she will usher you to the rack where similar items are located, and you can choose what you want (usually the same thing brought to the counter originally.)
The other day, I needed a paper towel holder. There are two hardware stores in town, neither very busy. I immediately spy a clerk whom I have known for years. “What can I do for you?” “I need a paper towel rack.” “The end of aisle 18 on the right.” “Thank you!” Aisle 18 is 10 feet long; I am about 20 feet into the store. The paper towel rack is there; I pick one out, pay cash to the same clerk, and I go to my car which is less  than 10 feet from the front door. All done in less than 3 minutes! These little hardware stores are so easy, and the prices are not that different from the big box stores.
Now, as for that single sheet of plywood;I called my lumber yard at 3:30 p.m. and placed my order for a single sheet of sanded, half inch plywood. I knew full well that it would not come until the next day. Probably it would be dropped off by a huge truck making a  sizeable delivery somewhere else, and I would get to my project later in the day. No! that’s not what happened. Rather, at 7:30 a.m, a little flatbed truck with a single sheet of plywood backed into my driveway, and I was awake to greet the driver, who in turn put the plywood where I wanted it. I and all day to get to the project. So score one for the little guy who takes care of people. Score one for the little guy who has a manageable store. Score one for the guys who answer the phones and help you out. And score one for us who have been spared the hassle of going to the big stores, wasting time and energy, thinking we are saving something in that drudgerous process.

No comments: